Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Upsetting Home Opener


Just a quick post tonight, but I figured I should put something up here given that it was the home opener. I did make the trip down and was WAY up in the 500s. I've included a picture so you can get the view from the cheap seats. I saw at least 3 fights break out in the 500s tonight.

The Jays continue to swing the bat very well with home runs from Vernon Wells (his 5th) and an absolutely TOWERING shot from John Buck which just about made it up into the 500 level.

Tallet got knocked around pretty well by the Sox, including former Blue Jay Alex Rios who went 3 for 5 on the night (all singles). I wasn't really sure what kind of reaction Rios would get from the fans, but it was not pretty at all. Downright nasty, actually. I guess it probably sounds that much worse when you have 46,000 fans booing you as opposed to only 20,000. Every time Rios came to bat or fielded the ball in the outfield the crowd erupted in rounds of boos, or 'RIOS YOU SUCK' or 'RIOS SUCKS'. I didn't hear anyone get all that creative with their Rios taunting. I thought it was a little too harsh. The only thing I hold against Rios is that he wasn't that much better about 3 years ago so that the trigger was pulled on the rumoured Rios-Lincecum deal. If that had happened, Halladay and Lincecum as the #1 and #2 starters in 2008, that would have almost definitely resulted in playoff baseball in Toronto for the first time since 1993. But I digress...

"Canadian" Mark Teahen hit a home run to left field in the 9th inning that gave Jason Frasor his second blown save of the season already. From my vantage point (500 level a few sections into foul territory on the 3rd baseline) I have no idea how that ball had enough to get out of the yard. Teahan struck again in the 11th inning with an RBI-triple that scored 42-year old Omar Vizquel. That handed Jeremy Accardo with the loss and a less-than-impressive season debut. I believe Merkin Valdez was warming in the bullpen in the 10th/11th inning, but he remains the only Blue Jay who has not got any action over the first week.

No comments:

Post a Comment